Thursday, October 23, 2003

Dribble

Mutterings continued.

Just back from the dentist with $800 worth of porcelain in my gob and the right side of my face feels like it's made of marshmallow. Makes talking very unattractive.

My favourite Yes Prime Minister ep, The Key, was on last night. Still makes me laugh. Very sad to think both Jim Hacker and Sir Humphrey are no longer with us. My friend Ash saw Nigel Hawthorne's Lear a couple of years ago and said it was very powerful. It was directed by Yukio Ninagawa and set on a formal noh stage and the cast wore kimono and other traditional Japanese clothes.

Today's this time last year:

Last day in Rome. After a very shaky start, I grew to love the place a lot. As I've mentioned before, it's dirty (skin and nose are disgusting at the end of a day's touristing about), it has beggars and pickpockets and you take your life in your hands when you cross the street, but Roman men and women are very beautiful, there were unexpected kindnesses and the history is overwhelming.

I had a very late flight out which meant I had a day to kill. My hosts, Barbara and Guilio, at the B and B let me have the run of the apartment for the day - they were very sweet and took good care of a stranger. Barbara takes photos of all her guests and puts them in the visitors book. She was off to lunch and he was going to work so they said their goodbyes. "I will not be here when you go so I kiss you now!" Big hug and kiss on both cheeks from both of them.

I Metroed to Piazza di Spagni and had another wander around, this time without the film crew. I walked to Piazza Navona and found a divine stationery shop. Being the stationery slut I am I had to go in, especially as I'd found a lovely pen set in the window for only 18 Euro and I HAD TO HAVE IT! It's green and black and made by Niji.

Wandered to Campo di Fiori which consisted of interesting market stalls and called into Lush and bought something in a bottle with an Italian label.

Back to the apartment for a rest and then commenced the trek via, as it turned out, three trains to the airport. More unexpected kindness - a family heading to the airport was on Appiano station and took me under their wing. They helped me get the right tickets and made sure I got on the right trains.

I was standing the doorway of the third train with my luggage with a chap who was also laden down. I took a quick shifty at the Qantas label on his bag and noticed that his address was Kelmscott! Small world indeed. Turned out he worked for Qantas and he and his family were from Italy originally and were traveling visiting the rellies. They were headed to the airport hoping that there were seats on the flight home - being Qantas employees they fly free. He was worried that they may get as far as Singapore and not be able to get home - the flights were fully booked.

We got to the airport before the Qantas desk was open so we had a wander around. We split up when the desk opened but I saw them later on the flight from Singers to Perth.

The flight from Rome to Singapore was pretty horrible - I'd got a door seat but it was next to the door that holds the inflatable slide and I couldn't stretch out my legs. For most of the flight I sat with my legs on the bit that holds the slide.

In flight movie was Bend it Like Beckham, which was a hoot.

Flight from Singapore to Perth also uneventful. I arrived after midnight and had to go through Customs to declare the shoes I'd worn at Hadrian's Wall - lots of sheep raises the spectre of Foot and Mouth.

The wonderful Leece and her mum Ros were waiting for me in arrivals hall and took me to my folks' place.

And that's the holiday done! What will I bore everyone with now??

PS I'd ended up posting myself 6 parcels of souvenirs from England. They all turned up within a few weeks of each other about 3 months later, just in time for Xmas. I'd forgotten most of what I'd bought so it was like getting Xmas presents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home