Sunday, October 19, 2003

Sunday, Part Deux.

Mutterings continued.

Back from the folks' place, called into the Gosnells Markets on the way home and bought some cinnamon Tic Tacs. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm......... Imported from the States and somewhat pricey at $3 but soooo good. There's just not enough cinnamon in this country! The Merkins can take back their Macdonalds and replace them all with Cinnabons. That's what I reckon, anyway. 8-)

Today's this time last year:

Woke up early after the previous day's excitements, listened to R-K's Shaherazade on Italian radio and had breakfast with a couple who are friends of the B and B owners. They spoke excellent English and helped to translate between Guilio, the owner, and myself.

I walked to the Vatican and stood at the end of a queue that seemed to go for miles. I was therefore very surprised when I got through the front gates in very short time. The Sistine Chapel was amazing, of course and the sense of wonder is heightened by the fact that you're not allowed to take photos or even talk in the chapel, resulting in a room full of people speaking in hushed whispers, staring up at THAT painting.

There probably aren't enough superlatives for the Vatican Museum. The Hall of Maps was fascinating - one long corridor with maps of Italy from, I think, the 16th century, as is the Hall of statues.


I posted some postcards from the Vatican Post Office, which I'd read was far more efficient than the Italian service. I had lunch in a self serve cafeteria and couldn't understand where all the people were. It was lunch time, there must have been hundreds and hundreds of people in the Vatican but very few of them were having lunch in the cafeteria.

The Vatican, like the British Museum, is a place that needs to be explored more than once - one day just doesn't do it justice. Unfortunately I only had 5 days in Rome and there was a lot to see, so I didn't get to see everything in the Holy City.

While Rome may be built in 7 hills, it's still a great place for walking around. I headed east and ended up at Castel Sant Angelo, burial place of the Emperor Hadrian and scene of Puccini's Tosca. A production of the opera was film in the Castel. On the very top is a huge bronze archangel -





What was once a mausoleum and later fort, is now a museum which house frescos from the school of Raphael and other treasures.

The view is amazing, of course.



Views of Rome




The Tiber

Caught a cab back to the apartment, with a driver who had no idea where I wanted to go. Fortunately I'd brought my map and we eventually got there. It was an expensive ride but it was fun as he couldn't speak English and I was mispronouncing Italian and it beat walking uphill!

I had dinner (pizza funghi, four different kinds of mushrooms!) in a cafe near the apartment - the waiter spoke English and was very kind and helpful. Then spent the evening, exhausted, watching Italian tv. They have a home shopping network that sells some amazing tat. Lots of small crystal animals and dust collectors.

I like Rome. A lot! It's dirty and loud and the scooter drivers ignore the rules of the road but it's fascinating.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home