Saturday, October 11, 2003

MST3K tonight.

Mutterings continued.

Beautiful day outside - not too hot, not too cold. Just right. All the bottlebrush bushes are in flower down Labouchere Rd and they look great. One of my favourite flowers, I've decided. Love gum trees too - I really missed them in Europe.

Leece and Rob are coming over for dinner tonight - another episode of The Prisoner and MST3K's I Accuse My Parents.

I've more or less decided to go to the UK again next year. Reading Simon's blog, and my own, has given me itchy feet. Ash wants to see more of Scotland, and I really want to see the Orkneys . Here's hoping my parents' health holds up.

Today's this time last year:

Stratford, Day 3.

MOP Day in Stratford - I can't recall what the letters stand for but historically it was the day the landed gentry would come to town and buy servants. There's another one in 14 days to buy back all the servants that had run away. Apart from a few arts and craft stalls on the banks of the Avon, the rest looks like tacky kids rides, a la Side Show Alley. Apparently a lot of businesses shut up shop for the weekend and board their windows as the vibration from the diesel engines on the rides tend to shatter them. A good day to get out of town and catch the train to Birmingham.

I'd always imagined that Birmingham would be grotty, dirty and downright unpleasant. Wrong. It was in the running for European Capital of Culture this year, just missing out to Liverpool, and is making another bid in 2008. It has a beautiful theatre, impressive library, stunning art gallery and museum, symphony orchestra and ballet, all tucked into one large cultural centre.

Birmingham Art Gallery and Museum


Birmingham Rep

And as Noddy Holder says: "(Birmingham) holds a diverse mix of cultural, musical, sporting and business achievements that should be recognised". Not the most resounding endorsement, perhaps....

Selfridge's (think Myer, Marks and Spencers only more upmarket) were building a new shopping complex while I was there. This is it. Anybody else think it looks like a huge pile of ball bearings??



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home