Sunday, November 07, 2004

Penultimate weekend of freedom

Mutterings continued.

Hard to believe but I go back to work tomorrow week. It's been 9 weeks since I went on hols and a hell of a lot has happened.

Visited Dad today; he cooked roast chicken and vegies for lunch. Last Thursday we called into Seaforth Village, a retirement centre/hostel run by the Salvation Army in Kelmscott, to take Mum's name off the list and to put his name on. We were expecting a long waiting list however he got a call on Friday afternoon saying a unit was available from next Friday. This has put him into a bit of a panic as he still has 8 months left on his current lease, however we think the owners will understand (they sent him a condolence card when Mum died) and let him out of it. He's very lonely and needs companionship during the day.

Travelling tales.

I have already written about the disaster that is my attempt to negotiate Sheffield. To recap: "I will never, never, ever drive into Sheffield ever, ever again. Unlike last time, we got into the city ok, found the hotel, found the car park. This time we couldn't get out and ended up driving where no cars are meant to drive - the tram tracks. We were rescued by a lovely man from Supertram who said consolingly, ''You're not the first, you won't be the last. Trucks have done it, buses have done it. Don't worry about it.'' After realising that I was was heading towards the abyss (ie oncoming trams) I ended up on the footpath outside a bank. Ash went for help, I sat in the car looking for all the world like a getaway driver trying not to look suspicious."

So much for Sheffield, now for Derek Jacobi. Some reviews of his performance as King Phillip of Spain in Don Carlos:

The Stage Online

The Observer

The British Theatre Guide


The Rotherham Advertiser

Some King Phillip quotes that stuck, "I like surprises.", "I want a man", and "Gerroff!"

Michael Grandage, Associate Director of the Crucible, has resigned and will be replaced by Sam "Son of Timothy" West whom I saw in Richard II.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home