Saturday, December 04, 2004

I like trains.

Mutterings continued.

Trains are quite my favourite form of public transport. If it were possible to get from Perth to London by train, provided there was a decent loo and a man with a trolley with coffee and unhealthy snacks, that's the way I'd go. I'd love to do the Orient Express (complete with murder and David Suchet as Poirot, but that's another story).

An article in the Guardian's Northener about the lousiness of train transport in the UK has sparked off this blog about choo-choos. When it works, the London Underground is great. You end up with a greatly distorted vision of what London actually looks like and how it's set out, but it's a good way of getting about. Above ground trains, however, make for very expensive travel. One way from London to Stratford, a journey of a couple of hours, costs 23 quid. That's about $55. A 15 minute trip on the Heathrow Express costs 13 quid, about $30.

I forgot to mention earlier that I bought a turntable from Dick Smith's this morning. I've attached it to the pc and have been playing and recording old records. I'd forgotten how nice Al Stewart's Year of the Cat is.

I also bought the latest Harry Potter DVD which I might look at later. I saw it about four times on the flight home from Paris, just not in any comprehensible order.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home