Sunday, April 30, 2006

A lovely weekend

Mutterings continued.

The weather is rather gorgeous - cold at night, 21/22c during the day.

Did the usual boring supermarket shopping in the am yesterday. As I was wheeling the trolley to the car I realised that there actually wasn't anything else I wanted to buy or look at, which meant I got all my shopping done by 8.34am. Woo hoo.

In the arvo I took a trip to Britannia Coffee Lounge in Cannington. The last time I went, I was the only patron in the shop; this time, the place was full of diners, feeding their faces with the most wonderful looking nosh. Shall have to eat there some time - they do curry and chips, the full English brekky, etc. I bought a Cornish pasty, which I've just heated up for my lunch, some Leicestershire pork sausages and another box of Weetabix.

L and R came over last night for dins and DVDs. They provided dins - wonderful RTB and noodles from the Red Rock Noodleshop on Canning Highway. Not sure what RTB stands for - I said Really Tough Beef but I was wrong, it wasn't. And then we had apple strudle, date crumble and ice cream with cinnamon on it. I introduced them to Reeves' and Mortimer's Randall and Hopkirk - I think they liked it. We watched another good Kolchak and then The Amazing Colossal Man, in which we learned that, while plutonium can give you lovely skin, you probably won't live long enough to appreciate it.

I was going to go to the Freo markets this morning, but didn't. Went to Stock Road instead and had a nice long look around the Last Hurrah Book Shop. Purchases: J.M. Barrie's Dear Brutus: A Comedy in Three Acts (which is inscribed on the frontispiece, "To Denis: In the hope that the old fresh, however unworthy, will always retain supremacy over the new. Jim. August 25, 1930.); Famous Plays of 1937 (which includes Turgenev's A Month in the Country and Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L Sayers); Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility (which, I'm ashamed to admit, I've never read); and Teach Yourself History of English Literature: To the English Renascence (sic) 500-1650 Vol. 2. Chaper II is English Literature Before the Saxon Conquest; looks like it could be an interesting read.

Oh, and Plays and Players Feb. 1970 and Theatre Quarterly Apr-Jun 1973. All for the princely sum of $19. Bargain!

L and R introduced me to the delights of Cheap Ass Games; Stumled Upon their website and found this amusing:

"New Expansion: Ambivalence Pack! (January 2006)
Can't decide whether to kill Doctor Lucky or save him? Now you can put that choice off until your friends arrive with this unique expansion for both games. The Doctor Lucky Ambivalence Pack contains a new board for Kill Doctor Lucky, set aboard a non-sinking ocean liner, and a new board for Save Doctor Lucky, set inside a burning hotel. You will need the decks and rules for the original games in order to play with the expansion boards, but since they're our best-selling board games, we assume you already do!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home