Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Like having your boobs slammed in the refrigerator door.

Mutterings continued.

I caught a cab to Royal Perth Hospital this morning, good thing I did or I would have got lost (me? Lost?? Never!). I got to the Breast Clinic half an hour early - mine was the first appointment but there was already someone else waiting. The mammogram looked like an aerial photograph of a city taken at night, lots of grey and black areas and two areas of stark white. These were the bits that the clinic wanted to have a look at. Changed into the sexy hospital top, sat for a bit and was then called in for more mammograms; three more mammograms each more painful than the last. I have black texta on my right breast marking exactly where the doubtful bits are; I'm assured it will wash off. The pain lasts seconds, just for as long as it takes to click the picture.

Back to the waiting room, called back for another (the most painful) mammogram and then back to the waiting room again. There were five other women in the small waiting room, all of us first timers and all of us more than a little frightened.

I was called into the doctor's office and she said, "We're sending you home." Silly me thinks, "There's nothing they can do for me!". Turns out it's normal glandular changes and I don't have to go back for another 2 years.

The larger waiting room at the front of the clinic was packed when I left - that's a lot of women.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home