Monday, September 13, 2004

Some catching up to do.

Mutterings continued.

Mum's back in hospital. She came out last Thursday but had become increasingly vague, wandery and wandering and appeared to be hallucinating. Very confused. The Silver Chain nurse who attended her Saturday morning used phrases like "terminal phase" and organised getting her back into hospital. The ED doctor who looked at her said it could possibly be digoxin toxicity. Digoxin, made from digitalis, is her heart medication and apparently can raise quite easily to toxic levels. The symptoms are confusion, hallucinations, anorexia (she has lost a lot of weight), delusions and depression. Dad visited her yesterday morning and was shocked at how bad she was and warned me that she probably won't know me. We saw her after lunch and she was able to say words like "disoriented", asked me if I was looking forward to my holiday (I'm supposed to be flying out this Thursday) and said that she felt confused. My brother visited last night and said she was quite lucid.

She's been off the digoxin for a couple of days, so Dad and I are holding onto the hope that it's the drugs that are causing the problem.

Steveg's out of ICU, which is great news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home