Friday, March 05, 2004

Third time lucky?

Mutterings continued.

I’ve just discovered one of Window XP’s great new features – when something irritates the OS, you don’t get the Blue Screen of Death any more. No, your computer simply reboots! It doesn’t matter what you’re doing, you don’t get the chance to save anything that might still actually be working, you just get a blank screen and an automatic reboot. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twice last night while trying to blog the bloody PC stopped and restarted itself. I found a page on Cnet entitled Windows XP Nightmares and a subject heading “The Return of the Revolting Reboot”. I’ve followed the instructions and turned off this particularly annoying ‘feature’ – let’s hope I won’t get cut off again in mid-sentence.

Exciting stuff in the post – I got home yesterday and found a parcel sitting on the doorstep. Not being the paranoid type, I ripped it open to discover the Babylon 5 DVDs I’d ordered from Canada a few days ago. As the postage was free I was expecting it to come via sea mail but not so. Today’s mail just brought a bill.

Had dinner on Wed night with Leece, Rob and L’s mother, Ros. I had some particularly evil (in a good way) fish and chips, while L had a very tasty looking 1950’s burger. This sparked a discussion along the lines of “Things aren’t as good as they used to be….” and the consensus that Polly Waffles are just a shadow of their former selves.

And lunch today was a yummy spag with mushrooms in a tomato sauce at Bocelli’s in South Perth.

Travelling home from shopping last night, I heard a gorgeous piece of music on Classic FM – “Morning Dew” on Norada’s Dance to your Shadow album. Lovely Celtic, Hamish Macbeth style music. A taster from their website.

One of the more active threads on the iinet.general newsgroup (62 posts and counting) is Who Makes the Best Pizza. An important topic to be sure. For the record, for me it’s Pizza with Attitude in Kensington. When I was a student at WAIT, one of my housemates used to work in a pizza shop in Nedlands. One day, she opened the tin of olives to find a rat floating in it. Mmm, extra protein and about the only thing to make olives palatable.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home